The Institute library is under the Directorate of Academics, Research and Consultancy. It was established in 1978 with the initial donation of about 1500 books from The Netherlands. It developed gradually and at present it has about 20,000 books and 200 journals. The collection contains materials on Social Work, Human Resource Management, and Industrial Relations. These are the major courses taught at the institute.
The library opens from Monday to Friday at 08.30 am to 22.00pm. Saturday and Sunday from 9.00 am to 1.30 pm
The library remains closed during public holidays
THE PRESENT SITTING CAPACITY
The present sitting capacity is 100 users at once. This is far below the current demand of about 800 users. This is 1/3 of the current institute enrolment of about 2400 students per year. ISW has a new building of library which has enough space for the readers.
The library unit has a number of governing regulations and disciplines of which every user has to abide with. These regulations are aimed at making sure that all users are served proportionally.
- Silence must be observed in the library
- Smoking is not permitted in the library
- The use of matches or open light in any part of the library is prohibited
- No dispatch case/wallet of over 8" x 5" in size or attached cases be brought into the library. The overcoats and Macintoshes must be left out of the library
- Readers must dress and behave in manner that will cause neither offence nor damage. Thus, for example, the removal of shirts, the placing of feet on furniture, and the wearing of high-heeled shoes are forbidden
- Loose sheets of paper for purpose of taking notes may be taken into library
- The assistant at the control counter in the entrance lobby will insist that a reader show all his/her books on leaving the library as a precaution against the illegal removal of books. Borrowers are asked to give the assistant their full cooperation in this matter.
- No food may be brought into the Library including all type of drinks and fruits as they attract insects easily
- Mobile phones must be switched off while in the Library. Readers found in breach of this regulation shall be liable to a penalty of TShs.5,000.00
- Coats, bags, parcels, etc. must be left in the area assigned for them in the entrance lobby and must not be brought into the library.
- Readers are required to show their identity card at every checkpoint and at the issue desk when checking out a book (s) on request
Collections of Online Resources.
To access this library you need to fill in an application form to get a password and a user name for login purposes.
- Centre for Research Libraries. URL: http://www.crl.edu/grn/AFRINUL
- Cooperative African Newspapers Project. URL: http://www.crl.edu/grn/afrinul
- Cogprints. URL: http://cogprints.org/cgi/search/advanced
- Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB). URL: http://www.doabooks.org/
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).URL: http://www.doaj.org/
- Directory of Open Access Resources (DOAR). URL: http://www.opendoar.org/
- The Directory of Open Access Repositories (OpenDOAR). URL: http://www.opendoar.org/
Academic Journals. URL: http://www.academicjournals.org/journals.htm
- African Digital Library. http://www.africaeducation.org/
- African Journals Archive. URL: http://www.sabinet.co.za/?page=african-journal-archive
- African Journals Online. URL: www.ajol.info/
- African Law Library. URL: http://www.africanlawlibrary.net
- Bangladesh Journals. www.banglajol.info/
- Bookboon. URL: http://bookboon.com
Links to access e-Journals
- Electronic Journals Library: http://rzblx1.uni-regensburg.de/ezeit/fl.phtml?bibid=AAA
- Electronic Journal of Probability: http://ejp.ejpecp.org/
- Electronic Journal of Statistics: http://imstat.org/ejs/
- The Electronic Library of Mathematics (ELibM): http://www.emis.de/ELibM.html
- Electronic Resources for Research Methods: http://www.informationr.net/rm/
- E-LIS: http://eprints.rclis.org/
- ERIC: http://eric.ed.gov/
ISW is a member of the Consortium of Tanzania Research and University Libraries (COTUL). It has subscribed to a wide range of academic electronic databases from reputable publishers. This will help students and staff to access full text journal articles found in these journals.
Access to these databases requires ISW’s public Internet Protocol (IP) address available within the Institute campus. Websites and passwords of some of the databases are provides to facilitate the accessing process.
- Cambridge University Press - Cambridge Journals Online http://www.cambridge.org/
- Edinburgh University Press http://www.euppublishing.com/
- COTUL http://www.cotul.or.tz/
- Other are:- IMF e-Library, JSTOR, Sage Journals, Taylor & Francis eBestseller Packages, Taylor & Francis Journals, University of Chicago Journals, Wiley Online Library SSH and Palgrave Macmillan
Databases with full-text journal articles
- Cambridge University Press - Cambridge Journals Online URL: http://journals.cambridge.org: The resource provides full text of 350 leading journals from Cambridge University Press, covering a wide range of disciplines in the humanities, social sciences and STM.
- Emerald Insight Group of Publishing. URL: www.emeraldinsight.com: Emerald is the world's leading publisher of academic and professional literature in Health Care Management/Healthcare, Business, Accounting and Finance, Environment, Economics, Education, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Humanities, and Library and Information Studies.
- De Gruyter LIS Journals. URL: http://www.degruyter.com: Allow access to over 100 titles delivering a wide variety of content in humanities, medicine, the sciences and law. Subject of strength is Library an Information Science.
- Edinburgh University Press Developing Countries Initiative. URL:http://www.euppublishing.com/: Publishes over 30 journals across a range of disciplines such as Politics, Law, Linguistics, Philosophy, Media, Islamic, Scottish Studies
- IMF eLibrary. URL: http://www.elibrary.imf.org/: This is one of the world’s most authoritative sources for economic information, analysis and harmonized statistics. It provides comprehensive data and original analysis, with coverage of almost every economy in the world and a special focus on developing and emerging economies.
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS) . URL: https://www.informs.org/
- JSTOR. URL: www.jstor.org
- OECD iLibrary (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). URL: http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org
- The commonwealth-library. URL: http://www.thecommonwealth-ilibrary.org/
- OUP - Oxford Journals. URL: http://www.oxfordjournals.org/en/
- Palgrave Macmillan Journals. URL: http://www.palgrave-journals.com
- Sage Online Journals. URL: http://online.sagepub.com/
- Taylor & Francis eBestseller Packages. URL: http://www.tandfebooks.com/
- Taylor & Francis Journals. URL: http://www.tandfonline.com/
- University of Chicago Journals. URL: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/journals.html
- Wiley Online Library HSS. URL: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/